Wednesday, June 20, 2007

"Way Back Wednesday"

I just had to get in on the fun of "Way Back Wednesday". I love what everyone else has done on their blogs. I kind of have two for today, a true "way back" and a semi "way back". At first I didn't think I could do a true "way back" because I don't have my childhood pictures, but then my mom sent me one I can use. So first I'll do the original and then I'll do the semi.

In Heather's blog she asked what our favorite outfits used to be back in the day. I had typed in response that I had this bright multi-colored shirt that in the print you could make out some sort of animal, like a lion or zebra or something. Well when my mom read my comment she knew exactly what shirt I was talking about so she found a picture to send me. Since she knew just what I was talking about from that description you know I must have worn it A LOT! She said I wore that thing all the time. She didn't know why because it was huge on me, but I absolutely loved that shirt. Here's a picture of me wearing it. You can't see it in the picture, but Heather and I are both standing on just one leg like the flamingos in the background. Do I not look HUGE standing next to Heather?
I am the younger sister, but she looks like a mini me. I don't think my giant shirt was helping matters any! Don't you just love our awesome hair, man we were so cool.

Now for the semi "way back" story. Apparently I become easily attached to clothing. When I was a junior in high school (16 years old) I had another shirt that I absolutely loved. In fact I think it used to be Heather's shirt. I ended up wearing this shirt for picture day my junior year and my mom had the picture hanging on her picture wall in our family room. Okay, now fast forward 5 years to when I was 21 and started dating Jared. One night Jared and I went out on a date and I happened to be wearing this shirt (surprise, surprise). Well, he being the only observant man in the whole wide world recognized it from the picture on my mom's wall. He asked me "isn't that the shirt you're wearing in that one picture?", to which I hesitantly responded "yes". So then he asked "wasn't that taken like 5 years ago?", again completely embarrassed I answered "yes". He just started cracking up, he couldn't believe I still had the shirt and that it still fit. Needless to say, I made sure I never wore this shirt on a date of ours again. I didn't get rid of it though, oh no I still have it. I don't really wear it any more, but every once in awhile when we were first married I would put it on and he would just laugh and laugh and laugh. I pulled it out of the closet today to take a picture of myself in it and as soon as Addison saw it she grabbed it and said "niiice" while trying to put it on herself. She loves it. I put it on her and she just kept touching it because it's kind of silky material (I don't know what it's made of as the words on the tag have worn completely off) and saying ''niiice" or "be-a-bowl" (beautiful). You see it's so in style still that even the next generation is going to want to wear it. I think I might just save it for Addison! Anyway, here are the pictures of me wearing it. The first one is my junior year in high school (1996) and the


other one was taken today, 11 years later. Keep in mind that I am 5 months pregnant, I don't normally look like fat girl in little shirt when I wear this (or perhaps I do and that's why Jared always laughs so hard). Regardless of what I look like though, doesn't the shirt still look absolutely fabulous after all this time? Why wouldn't I wear something that still looks this good? =) All right, all right, I'll hang it up for good, but first take a look at Addison pulling off this timeless look!















11 comments:

Hollie said...

Before anyone says anything, you probably noticed that my pictures did not post in the order I expected. The top picture was taken today, and the bottom one was 11 years ago when I was 16. I'm sure you probably all figured that out, but just thought I would clarify.

Cowgirl at Heart said...

Wow do you and Addison look alike in the picture of you wearing the same shirt! Don't feel bad I'm 53 and still have clothes in my closet from when I was in my 20's. My hippie clothes....of course they don't still fit (LOL)
Check out my blog it is imacowgirlatheart.blogspot.com
You guys are contagious.....love ya Aunt Debbie

BAMA said...

I KNOW TRYING TO GET THESE LAYOUTS RIGHT CAN BE A BIT TRICKY. WHILE READING YOUR BLOG PRIOR TO SEEING THE PICTURES I FIRST THOUGHT OF THAT BLUE GEOMETRIC V-NECK SHIRT, BUT THE MINUTE YOU SAID IT USED TO BE HEATHER'S I KNEW EXACTLY WHICH ONE YOU MEANT. HEY IT'S A CLASSIC WHICH MEANS IT NEVER GOES OUT OF STYLE. I KNOW I'M YOUR MOM BUT I MUST SAY, YOU HAVE ALWAYS BEEN SO PRETTY SINCE THE DAY YOU WERE BORN, BUT I SWEAR YOU GET PRETTIER & PRETTIER, WITH THE YEARS, YOU ARE SO BEAUTIFUL FROM THE INSIDE OUT. TALK ABOUT MINI ME, "ADDISON" IS A EXACT LITTLE YOU, DON'T YOU JUST LOVE HOW YOU CAN TELL SHE FEELS SO CUTE IN THAT SHIRT. YOU FOR SURE HAVE TO KEEP THAT FOR HER. I JUST LOVE THIS WAY BACK STUFF, IT ALLOWS US TO TAKE TIME TO GO BACK TO A TIME OF A REALLY SILLY OR HAPPY MEMORY, AND WITH OUR CRAZY LIVES, IT'S JUST NICE TO DO THAT SOMETIMES. LASTLY, "ARE YOU KIDDING" I WISHED I COULD LOOK LIKE YOU DO AT FIVE MONTHS PREGNANT, YOU SKINNY LITTLE THING. (JUST TO CLARIFY) I DON'T WANT TO "BE" FIVE MONTHS PREGNANT AND LOOK LIKE YOU, OH, NO, NO, NO, NO, I JUST WANT TO LOOK AS THIN AS YOU DO WHEN "YOU" HAPPEN TO BE FIVE MONTHS PREGNANT.

P.S. THE THINGS THAT FORM OUR MEMORIES ARE THE THINGS THAT SHAPE OUR LIVES, AND MAKE US WHO WE ARE TODAY.

Hollie said...

You crack me up mom! What do you mean you don't want to be 5 months pregnant??? I know exactly which blue geometric v-neck shirt you're talking about. I thought of that when I was doing this blog, I just didn't have any pictures of it. I guess I don't like change much huh? Too funny. I love your p.s. comment, it's so true. Love you.

Hollie said...

Debbie, I'm so glad you're blogging now...woo-hoo! I would love to see your hippy clothes. We should have a fashion show next time we're down your way.

Heather said...

THAT IS MY SHIRT!!!!!!! I loved that shirt, and have often wondered where it went. Please send it back!!!!

Jamie said...

That is absolutely hysterical!!!!! I can't believe you still have the SAME shirt from high school! I don't know anything I still have from High School! Hee Hee And, that pic of you and Heather is too funny! LOVE the hair!

Heather said...

okay, okay, i guess i have lived without it for like 10 years I can continue to live without it. It is a nice shirt though. I wore that on many a dates. I guess it was the "date" shirt.

And I SOOOOO remember your brightly colored "big" shirt. I never got your love for that shirt!

Heather said...

I LOVED the blue geometric v-neck!! I think my freshman pic was taken wearing that gem!!

BAMA said...

I'M WITH YOU JAMIE, I DON'T THINK I STILL HAVE ANYTHING FROM MY HIGH SCHOOL DAYS EITHER. ESPECIALLY MY SKINNY FIGURE. LOL :) YES HOLLIE YOU HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A CREATURE OF HABIT, A CHILD OF ROUTINE, AND NOT TO BIG ON CHANGE. PLEASE TELL ME THAT YOU DIDN'T KEEP THE OVERSIZED BRIGHTLY COLORED TEE SHIRT? NOT MY PERSONAL FAVORITE.

BAMA said...

I MADE A PROMISE TO DAD MANY, MANY YEARS AGO, BEFORE WE GOT MARRIED, THAT I WOULD NOT KEEP "STUFF" AROUND, THAT IF I HADN'T USED OR SEEN SOMETHING IN ABOUT SIX MONTHS OR SO, I WOULD THROW IT OUT, BUT, YES, THERE WAS A BUT, (GOOD THING MY GRANDSONS AREN'T READING THIS) ANY WHO I DIGRESS, IF I FOUND LATER I NEEDED IT HE WOULD REPLACE IT. NOW, I'M SURE YOU KNOW WHY THIS WAS SUCH AN ISSUE. HE LOOKED AT MY FAMILY AND SAW A VERY SCARY MESS AND A BUNCH OF PACK RATS, HIS FAMILY ON THE OTHER HAND, WELL, CAN YOU SAY WHITE GLOVE, STERILE HOSPITAL, NEAT FREAKS. SO NEEDLESS TO SAY HE WAS SCARED OUT OF HIS EVER LOVING MIND THAT I WAS ONE OF "THEM" MESSY PACK RAT THAT IS. LUCKILY, FOR YOU KIDS I WAS NEITHER, I WAS A RIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE PERSON. I THINK, I HAD JUST THE RIGHT BALANCE.