Monday, June 25, 2007

One Crazy Cat!

Somehow we always end up with the silliest animals. Well I think our cat Ginger is the weirdest of them all. This post is probably going to wind up making it sound like I could use a trip to the loony bin, not the cat. But if you could only experience everything as I have, then you would understand. First you have to realize that this cat acts somewhat like a dog, but truly believes she is entitled to all the rights and privileges of a human being. During every meal she sits underneath Addison's seat and just waits for her to drop scraps so she can gobble them up. It doesn't matter what it is; meat, pasta, fruits, veggies, oatmeal...etc., she literally eats ANYTHING & EVERYTHING. Doesn't sound so bad right? I have an automatic vacuum/broom to clean up messes.
Now let me explain why she has been driving me nuts lately. As you all know I am pregnant, and you don't mess with a pregnant lady's food, at least not mine! Earlier in my pregnancy when I was super sick I was craving a gourmet sandwich for lunch. Despite barely being able to stand up I made one. I cut up lettuce, tomato, avocado, turkey, ham & cheese and made my sandwich. I got Addison situated with her lunch and set my sandwich on the table just in time to have to throw up. So I ran to the bathroom. While I was in there I heard Addison yelling "no no Kitty, uh-uh!". I knew exactly what was going on and I was furious. As soon as I was finished I ran into the kitchen only to find the cat hovering over my sandwich chowing down. I ran up to the table yelling and making all sorts of noise and of course she takes off with the top piece of bread in her mouth. I lost it! I started bawling and chasing the cat around the house to get that stupid piece of bread back. Of course I wasn't going to eat it, but I wasn't going to let her enjoy it either. I must've chased her like a maniac for 5 or 10 minutes before she finally just dropped the bread and hid somewhere I wasn't able to reach. Needless to say I threw my sandwich away and started from scratch, crying the entire time. The next incident happened a couple of months later when a friend of mine brought me some home grown squash from her farm. I love squash! One night we came home from being out and I saw something on the floor that I couldn't figure out what it was. As I took a closer look I realized it was a half eaten piece of squash. Then as I walked into my bedroom I saw another half eaten piece of squash. The dumb cat had dragged it off the counter and eaten raw squash. Again I was livid, as I mentioned before, you just don't mess with a pregnant woman's food. Not to mention the fact that it just grossed me out that she had been up on my counter tops. I gathered up the squash and once again I chased the cat around the house yelling like a wild woman.













(I know this picture is blurry, but that's about how I saw it when she ran across the room. A blurry furball with something in her mouth.)

Now just the other night Ginger bolted across the family room right in front of us with something dark in her mouth. I didn't see what it was and automatically assumed it was a mouse or something. I asked Jared to go check it out. He came back into the room cracking up and said "you're going to be so mad!". Well, it was an avocado that she had swiped once again from the counter. I just started laughing, I couldn't even be mad any more. I couldn't believe that she was eating an avocado. What kind of cat likes squash and avocado? I got up to see if she had eaten anything else only to find bite marks all over two bananas. I am now having to guard my food and counter much more carefully, as I cannot afford the grocery bill this cat is racking up. She's lucky Addison loves her SOOO much, otherwise she'd probably be out the door!

4 comments:

Heather said...

I love the way you write! I was laughing out loud the entire time I read this. She is one crazy cat. Next time you leave a veggie or fruit on the counter, put hot sauce ALL over it, that way she won't like it........hopefully, and then you can just wash it off. That'll teach her.

Hollie said...

That's a great idea, I'll have to try that! =)

RC said...

I LOVE THIS FAMILY, WE ARE ALL SO NUTS! EVEN OUR ANIMALS. WE WERE LAUGHING SO HARD AS WE READ THIS (DAD & I) WAY TOO FUNNY. I'M SO GLAD WE WERE ALL BLESSED WITH THE COMIC GENE, IT MAKES FOR A VERY INTERESTING LIFE.
HEATHER AS FAR AS THE HOT SAUCE IDEA, DAD & I BOTH THOUGHT OF HOW WHEN WE WERE AT OUR WITS END TRYING TO GET YOU TO GIVE UP YOUR BINKY, DAD HAD THE BRILLIANT IDEA TO PUT JUST A DAB OF HOT SAUCE ON IT SO THAT MAYBE THAT WOULD MAKE YOU NOT WANT IT ANY MORE, WELL DID YOU FOOL HIM, YOU PUT IT IN YOUR MOUTH, SUCKED IT A BIT, MADE A FACE, TOOK IT OUT, THE WHOLE TIME YOUR DAD WAS SO PLEASED WITH HIM SELF HE THOUGHT HE HAD DONE IT, THEN YOU HELD IT UP TO DAD AND WITH THE SWEETEST LITTLE VOICE YOU SAID "MORE". I JUST STARTED CRACKING UP AND ASKED DAD NOW WHAT? NOW BEFORE ANYONE WANTS TO CALL CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES, HEATHER WAS ABOUT 20 MONTHS OLD, AND IT WAS A VERY, VERY SMALL DAB, PLUS YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THAT LITTLE STINKER HAD PUT US THROUGH IN THE PAST WITH THAT DARN THING.

Jamie said...

That is seriously crazy! I have never heard of a cat that eats veggies and fruit! Too funny! We had a dog that wouldn't eat ANY human food......how crazy is that? I'm so over animals!