Tuesday, December 4, 2007

"Mother of the Year!"

I have a lot of catch up to do from this weekend, but first I wanted to share this story real quick. We have an on-going joke in our family that when we do something dumb as a parent or feel bad about something we've done we say we're "mother of the year" (sarcastically of course). I'm not sure but I think Heather may have started this. Well this morning was one of those "mother of the year" moments. Let me begin by saying that last night was absolutely awful. Both Urban and Addison were up all night long, which meant of course that I was too. So come this morning I was not quite the ray of sunshine I should've been. I was trying my best though to keep my patience, and doing a pretty good job, until the smallest most insignificant thing set me off. Urban was crying so I was trying to get him fed and Addison comes walking in behind me to ask for fruit snacks for the third time this morning. Now she had already had waffles, a banana, two things of fruit snacks and a sucker and it wasn't even lunch time yet so I was more than a little annoyed. When she asked for the fruit snacks AGAIN I lost it and yelled "no, you don't need anything else to eat right now, just leave me alone". As soon as it came out of my mouth I realized how harsh it sounded and felt horrible, but to make it even worse she just looked up at me all sweet and cute and said "mama, no yelling at me, that's mean". I'm not sure I've ever felt worse. So I set Urban down, picked her up and gave her big hugs and kisses and told her I was sorry. Of course as children do she forgave me and of course I gave her another packet of fruit snacks. However I still think this shameful moment qualifies me to win the "mother of the year" award for this week!

4 comments:

Heather said...

she is so cute. I have mother of the year moments like every hour, so don't be too hard on yourself. Not sleeping is tough, and it sounds like you have a snacker on your hands too. I don't know why, but when they ask for food every TWO SECONDS, it really makes me mad!!!!

RC said...

NO SLEEP EQUALS = A UNHAPPY MOMMY!
SO IT'S KINDA UNDERSTANDABLE. HOW DARN CUTE AND SWEET IS ADDISON THOUGH TO GIVE YOU THAT LOVING REMINDER. :)

BLAME THE "MOTHER OF THE YEAR" ON ME, I SPOILED YOUR CHILDREN FOR TWO DAYS, HOLDING, GIVING, FEEDING, JUMPING AT EVERY LITTLE REQUEST, THEN I LEFT. (SO SORRY):(

Hollie said...

This is true mom, I think it is your fault. Urban didn't fuss the entire time you were here, then 20 minutes after you leave he wakes and and fusses all night and into the next night!

RC said...

HE WAS HAVING GRANDMA WITHDRAWALS? :) THAT'S OK BECAUSE GRANDMA WAS HAVING THEM TOO! I MISS MY LITTLE ONES, THEY ARE ALL SUCH A JOY TO DAD AND I.