Friday, January 11, 2008

Very Sad!

I don't know if everyone knows this, but we are planning on moving back to Vegas sometime this spring. So we've been looking around a lot for rentals and let me tell you, there are some very shady people out there. It is very sad to me how many scams there are. I would have to say that we've probably come across more scams than legitimate houses for rent and it just infuriates me. Even more than that though, it makes me very sad. I know I'm a fairly naive person, but I like to think that for the most part the majority of people are good, descent people. It breaks my heart to find out how many bad people are willing to take advantage of others, and for what??? MONEY! How pathetic! We came across this one house that sounded a bit too good to be true, but we decided to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. He said that he and his wife were in Africa doing missionary work and just wanted to find someone who would take good care of their home while they were away. Luckily we were very cautious and looked into it some more before giving any info or money because needless to say, it turned out to be a scam. I was shocked that someone would go to so much trouble and time to make up such an elaborate lie. We had exchanged several e-mails back and forth and phone calls and it makes me sick that he would use the Lord's work as a way of luring people into a trick. Anyway, I just had to get this off of my chest. Even though we figured everything out I still feel betrayed and taken advantage of. It makes me so sad to know that my children have to grow up in a world where they need to be skeptical of everyone because you never know who's trying to hurt you. I still like to think most people are good, I have to think that, I very much want to think that. I just know that I need to be very careful when dealing with others. This is hard to do without being cynical, but I very much don't want to turn into a cynic.

5 comments:

Heather said...

That is very sad. I don't get people. I really, really don't. It's scarry to think that this is the world we are turning over to our children. A world that takes advantage of others just to get ahead. I try to teach my children to always put others before themselves. If we all did that a little more than this world would be a MUCH better place!

RC said...

I'M VERY SORRY YOU ARE HAVING TO DEAL WITH THIS FIRST HAND. I HOPE THAT MY SPEAKING WITH YOU YESTERDAY ABOUT THIS HELPED TO FOR WARN YOU. BELIEVE ME, I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL, I CAN TELL YOU THE FIRST TIME I SAW THAT NOT ALL PEOPLE ARE GOOD. IT IS HARD TO DEAL WITH.
I'M SO PROUD OF YOU THOUGH FOR BEIGN CAUTIOUS ENOUGH TO KEEP YOUR SELF FROM BEING HURT.
I'M PROUD, THAT YOU WANT TO BELIEVE THAT ALL PEOPLE ARE INNATELY GOOD.
PROUD, THAT YOU DO NOT WANT TO BECOME CYNICAL.
PROUD, THAT YOU FEEL THE INJUSTICE OF SOMEONE DOING SOMETHING WRONG, HURTING ANOTHER.
I HONESTLY BELIEVE THAT WE LIVE IN TIMES WITH SOME OF THE BEST AND MOST SPIRITUAL PEOPLE ON EARTH, THEREFORE I BELIEVE SATAN IS WORKING ALL THAT MUCH HARDER TO CORRUPT AND TURN PEOPLE AWAY FROM GOOD. WE HAVE READ ABOUT DISHONEST AND BAD PEOPLE EVEN IN ANCIENT TIMES IN THE BIBLE. SO I THINK IT IS OUR DUTY, TO BE GOOD AND HONEST, INSTILL THIS IN OUR CHILDREN, LOOK FOR THIS IN OTHERS. HOWEVER, I ALSO FEEL IT IS OUR DUTY TO WALK THAT FINE LINE OF ENLIGHTENED AND CYNIC, TO UNDERSTAND NOT ALL PEOPLE ARE GOOD, OR DO GOOD THINGS, WE MUST FIND THAT MIDDLE GROUND WERE WE CAN BE CAUTIOUS WITHOUT BEING CYNICAL AND WE MUST TEACH THIS TO OUR CHILDREN TOO. WE HEAR ABOUT THE EVIL BEHAVIOR OF OTHERS EVERY DAY IN THE NEWS. THAT IS WHY I FEEL IT IS SO IMPORTANT TO SURROUND OUR SELF WITH GOOD, AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. GOOD, PEOPLE, BOOKS, MUSIC, MOVIES, THOUGHTS, HABBITS, AND FRIENDS. BECAUSE THIS IS WHERE WE CAN RECIEVE OUR BUFFER FROM THE EVIL OF THE WORLD AND SURROUND OUR SELF WITH THE GOOD AND RIGHTEOUS OF THE WORLD.

Cowgirl at Heart said...

I'm so sorry that someone tried to scam you! At least you were smart and didn't give him any money. It is unfortunate that there are so many creepy people out there...just know that for the most part human kind is good and well meaning. Love ya lots! You want me to go beat him up!

Melanie said...

It is sad how many scams are out there anymore. It's really bad on eBay too, with the Nigerian money scams. And I've noticed lately I've been getting a few scams in my email. I got one today in fact...I might have to share the email. It's really sick how these people play on emotions and use Missionary work to get money from people. And it seems they always find the people that can't afford to be scammed. It's good that you guys are being cautious thougg. Good luck with the house hunting

Heather said...

your THUMB SUCKER post won't let me leave a comment so I will leave one here because I HAVE to say HOW DANG CUTE IS THAT??

He is so cute, and chunky!!! I need to see that baby. I love him!