Wednesday, January 9, 2008

2-4-6-8

My word is APPRECIATE!
I got this idea from Heather, who got it from somebody else, (you can check out her blog for the link) and I just love it! You're supposed to choose a word that means something to you to represent the year. It's so true too that you don't really pick the word, it picks you. I was reading my scriptures last night and this word just popped into my head and I couldn't get it out. The more I thought about it I realized that it's a great word that can have so many different meanings. I want to more fully "appreciate" and act on this word so it's the one I chose.

I want to appreciate all the sweet little moments that are sometimes taken for granted.
I want to be better about showing my appreciation to others.
I want the value of my house to appreciate so I can sell it! ;-)
I want to appreciate myself and feel appreciated by others.
I want to appreciate my husband and children (obviously I love them more than anything, but I want to truly appreciate them and express it).
I want to appreciate my trials and look at them as lessons that need to be learned and be strengthened by them rather than let them bring me down.
APPRECIATE [uh-pree-shee-eyt]
Function:verb
1 a: to grasp the nature, worth, quality, or significance of (appreciate the difference between right and wrong)b: to value or admire highly (appreciates our work)c: to judge with heightened perception or understanding : be fully aware of (must see it to appreciate it)d: to recognize with gratitude (certainly appreciates your kindness)
2: to increase the value of
Although I already knew what the word meant, it seemed even more perfect once I looked it up. I love how it means to "grasp the worth" of something (like other people) and to "appreciate the difference between right and wrong". I love that it's a verb because I need to get better about acting on things. I also love the synonyms because I truly do "treasure" and "cherish" my family and friends. I am very excited about my word for the year and plan to do a scrapbook page to display it somewhere in my house.

5 comments:

Jennifer Richins said...

What a great word, Hollie. The world would be such a nicer place if everyone learned to be more appreciative. We are all truly blessed and sometimes it's easy to take our lives for granted.

RC said...

THAT IS A GREAT WORD. SO ON THAT NOTE, I WANT YOU TO KNOW HOW MUCH I APPRECIATE MY ENTIRE FAMILY, HUSBAND, CHILDREN, GRANDCHILDREN, PARENTS, SIBLINGS, NIECES & NEPHEWS AND ALL THEIR CHILDREN. I APPRECIATE THE FREEDOM WE HAVE LIVING IN THIS GREAT COUNTRY. I APPRECIATE THOSE WHO FIGHT FOR THOSE FREEDOMS. I APPRECIATE THAT I HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE THAT I AM A CHILD OF GOD, AND FAITH THAT OUR FAMILY CAN BE FOREVER. I APPRECIATE SO MANY THINGS I COULD GO ON FOR EVER. SO AGAIN, GREAT WORD. I APPRECIATE THAT IS THE WORD YOU PICKED, SO I CAN REMEMBER TO BE MORE APPRECIATIVE. THIS WAS SUCH AN AWESOME IDEA. I WILL BE POSTED THE WORD THAT CHOSE ME ON MY BLOG.

Heather said...

I love this word too. After reading your's and Mom's I think the wrong word picked me! HA ha!!!

Nick said...

Good word! We all need to learn to appreciate things in our lives a little more.

Cowgirl at Heart said...

What a great word! We all need to appreciate everything in our lives more. I appreciate you Hollie and your beautiful family. My world is so much better for that!