Sunday, August 5, 2007

Grandma Martin

How cute is this woman?!
I just made grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch, which I haven't had in FOREVER, and it totally reminded me of my Grandma Martin. I love my grandma so much! There are so many things that I will always associate with her and they are so special to me. Here's a list of a few of those things:
grilled cheese sandwiches
oatmeal
macaroni & cheese
chicken patties
mixed veggies
ANYTHING CHOCOLATE
orange rolls
letters on canned food labels (my favorite thing in the world)
fun stories
silly jokes
old songs
great thrift store/estate sale finds
atv rides
crisp dollar bills
and so much more.
Mostly I just think about how much she loves and supports each and every one of her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. We used to love spending the night at her house, eating her yummy food, taking a bath in her big tub and giving her crazy hair-do's. I always say that I wish every kid in the world could know what it's like to have a grandma & grandpa like my Grandma & Grandpa Martin. They've always been so involved in our lives and we have always known that we are loved by them and special to them in our own way. I wish I lived closer to my grandma, I miss seeing her more often. It was so great to get to visit with her a couple of weekends ago. I need to make more of an effort to keep in touch with her. It's just silly little things like grilled cheese sandwiches that bring back great childhood memories. I love being able to tell Jared & Addison that "such & such always reminds me of Grandma Martin because back when I was a kid she always yada, yada, yada". It helps to keep her close to me even though we don't live by eachother and helps them get to know her a little better and feel closer to her. I love you grandma!

7 comments:

Nick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nick said...

Such a great blog Nollie. Sometimes I forget how fortunate we are to have such a great relationship with our grandparents. So many of my friends are not close to the grandparents or they never even knew them. I miss living closer to Grandma as well. I havn't seen her since last Thanksgiving, so hopefuly I will get to see her soon.

August 5, 2007 8:57 PM

Heather said...

do do do do do do do do do do do do do!

This post made me happy and creeped out. Happy because I LOVE Grandma Martin. She is the best.

Creeped out becuase I too made grilled cheese sandwiches last week for the first time...........probably since Ava was born and it gave me that warm happy feeling inside. And it too opened the flood gates of memories with Grandma.
It's strange what a little sandwich can do!

RC said...

WE REALLY ARE LUCKY, THEY ARE THE BEST, SO MANY FUN, SILLY & HAPPY MEMORIES, FAMILY MEANS THE WORLD TO THEM, THAT IS WHAT THEY LIVE (LIVED) FOR. WHAT GREAT EXAMPLES THEY BOTH ARE, THEY GIVE ALL NEW MEANING TO THE SAYING "TEACH BY EXAMPLE".

RC said...

P.S.
IT'S INTERESTING HOW ALL OUR LIVES SEEM TO ENTER-TWINE WITH EACH OTHER. YOU POSTED ABOUT ONE OF THE MOST SELFLESS PEOPLE THERE IS (GRANDMA), ON YOUR BLOG THIS WEEK, AND I PUT UP MY QUOTE OF THE WEEK ABOUT SELFLESSNESS?? HEATHER ALSO MADE A GRILLED CHEESE SANDWHICH WHICH GAVE HER WARM FUZZIES, WE OFTEN POST ABOUT SIMILAR THINGS, PEOPLE OR EVENTS, OR WE ARE IN OUR BLOGS ALL IN THE SAME TIME FRAME. HMMMMM!

Hollie said...

I know, it is funny how that happens so often. Just goes to show that we may not live close, but we will always be super close. I always love your quotes by the way. Do you have a program that automatically posts them every so often or do you do it manually?

RC said...

I LOVE QUOTES AND SAYINGS, SO I COLLECT ONES I FIND & LIKE, THEN I KEEP THEM IN A DOCUMENTS FILE IN MY COMPUTER. THEN WHEN I NEED ONE I GO THERE, FIND ONE THAT SPEAKS TO ME, AND VIOLA! SORRY FOR THE LONG ANSWER, SHORT ANSWER IS "I DO IT MANUALLY".