Sunday, June 27, 2010

My Younger Man

Jared turned 30 last month on the 27th. I like when his birthday rolls around because then I am no longer older than him...just the same age (at least in my silly mind). I can't believe he's thirty. I don't know why it seems so much stranger to me for him to be thirty than me. I think because I've always acted old no matter what age I am and he's always seemed so young & fun. I still see him as the same 21 year old who stole my heart.

I wanted to do something super special for him for his thirtieth birthday. It's kind of a big deal you know. My sister and I actually started planning this amazing surprise party for him like way back in February. He's never had a surprise party before. Seriously, it was going to be so much fun. It was going to have an 80's theme (since that's the year he was born), we were going to have prizes for best costumes, dancing, games, karaoke, yummy food...the works! I was so excited to do this for him.

So why didn't it happen you ask? Well, I remembered that we don't really have any friends. Yeah I know, pathetic right? Okay, don't get me wrong, we have friends. Just not really close friends that we hang out with on a regular basis. I mean, there's definitely lots of people I could have invited from church and his work and stuff but they're people we see at those functions. We don't get together outside of those things. I didn't want to take the chance of no one coming. How depressing would that be to walk into a surprise party and only have your wife & kids jump out yelling "SURPRISE" at you when you can tell that it was supposed to be a big party. So I scrapped it. Who knows, maybe for his 40th.


Anyway, we still had lots of fun. The kids and I went to the store to get some fun decorations & presents. Addison helped me make his birthday cake and then she and Urban helped put up the decorations. Addison picked out a toy race car to give him and Urban wanted to give him a football. Urban kind of scored on daddy's birthday as he ended up with both presents. Delilah and I got him a blu-ray player which kind of made up for losing the other two.

Jared's parents came up to visit us Memorial Day weekend and ended up getting here the night of his birthday. (I'll post about their visit later.) He had school that night and usually the kids are in bed by the time he gets home but I let them stay up late. When he walked in the door Addison & Urban sprayed him with silly string. They thought that was the greatest thing ever! Addison later told me that grown-ups birthday parties are more fun than kids parties. I think the silly string and noise makers were the main factors taken into account when coming to that conclusion.




I ended up telling him about all of my grand plans and then told him why I didn't do it. He just laughed and said I was probably right but he appreciated the thought. He's a pretty spectacular guy...at least in my opinion.

15 comments:

April said...

We would have come to your 80's surprise party any day!

Happy birthday Jared!

We don't have friends either. We think we do...we just need to get together more with people. I wish my house was somewhat normal- you know, furniture- and then we would invite more people over...

Thanks for your talk today Hollie.

Levi and Cynthia Wilde said...

I would have loved to come too! I'm totally with you tho....this year was Levi's 25th birthday and I wanted to do something big and invite all these people....but then I got to thinking and was like...who do you invite besides family and would anyone actually come? Seriously I think once you get married life w/friends completely changes. ....Anways...if you ever decide to throw a party I'll be your friend and come! And Happy Birthday to Jared a month ago!

Anonymous said...

You are the best and I cannot tell you how lucky we are to have you as a daughter-in-law...I know we joke with you more then you care for...but you really do the greatest things...and nothing touches a Mother's heart more than to see that his sweet wife adores him...we love you...Dianna/Mom

Whitnie said...

We soooooooo would have been there!

Melanie said...

How fun! I love when Nick's birthday comes along too - for the entire month between our birthdays he tells me I'm 5 years older than him instead of 4 lol Happy Birthday Jared!

The Lingo Family said...

So sweet. Love the way you two are looking at each other in the last picture.

Shari said...

Those of us in our ward really should get together and do BBQ's or parties sometimes. It would be a lot of fun! I feel the same way. We have lots of friends in the ward, but we don't hang out with anyone either. hmmm..someone plan something...:)

kimmo framelius said...

hello
from here
i can see
that you are happy

you have a good blog

life is good
time is now

kimmo framelius said...

hello
from here
i can see
that you are happy

you have a good blog

life is good
time is now

kimmo framelius said...

hello
from here
i can see
that you are happy

you have a good blog

life is good
time is now

Lindsay said...

Happy birthday to Jared! Sounds like he had a great day =)

RC said...

You are so cute! I love that you put so much into making his birthday as special as he is. We are all truly lucky to have Jared in our lives.

We would have come and worn our best 80's outfits. I know, it's not the same though, having the "in-laws" show up at your party.

Hugs,

joan said...

despite all your grand plans, i think this looks like the perfect birthday surprise... with close family.

EVA MAHONEY said...

You got 13 comments. You got friends! :)

Mrs.B said...

Just remember your best friends are usually your family.