Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Grandma & Grandpa Estes

The week before Christmas Jared's parents came up from the Phoenix area to visit for about a week. They got to see Delilah for the first time and Addison was so super excited to see them.

For a little while it didn't seem like they were ever going to get here. They broke their necks trying to come see us...LITERALLY! Well, my father in law did anyway. They were in a really bad car accident near Nephi that totaled their car, broke my father in law's neck and banged my mother in law up pretty bad. It was quite scary when we got the call late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. Jared went to the Provo hospital where his dad was taken to get his parents. He and his mom headed to the impound yard to get all of their possessions out of their car and then back to the hospital to get his dad once he was released. On the way back to our house they got a flat tire on the freeway so Jared had to pull off in the snow to change it. After that they were finally on their way. Luckily the accident was not their fault, and considering the severity of it their injuries could have been much worse.

We had a lot of fun visiting with them. I didn't get to hold Delilah all that much with Grandma being around, but since this is my first baby that she doesn't get to live by I had to oblige! Why is it that grandmas are so good with babies? Both of the grandmas are like infant sleeping pills. They can always get my babies to sleep even if they've been fussy for me. What's up with that? Addison & Urban loved having them around and getting some extra attention too. There were lots of loves & cuddles.
We did some shopping (grandma's favorite past time), visited Temple Square, watched Max & Ruby and Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer (the kids thought the name was funny so they wanted to watch it), played silly car games, made casseroles in our mouths (thanks for that by the way, we still use it to get Addison to eat better), sang songs & read books.

Jared and I had not even started our Christmas shopping by the time they got here so two nights after the kids went to bed we headed out to get it all done. It was so nice to be able to go out alone together. Otherwise we would have either had to take turns going or take the kids and try to hide things in the cart while distracting them.

My mother in law finished re-upholstering my chaise. She started it last year when they came to visit. I was supposed to finish it, but to be quite honest I never even attempted it because the task was a bit overwhelming for me. I knew I would mess it up somehow. I felt bad putting her to work, but she did a great job, it looks professional.

My father in law got me addicted to the General Tso's chicken in Wal-mart's deli. It is so yummy. I want it all the time now.

I feel so bad that their trip started out the way that it did, but I am so thankful that they're both okay. We had a wonderful week with them, it went by too fast. Although I was glad to get our bed back. The air mattress we were sleeping on kept losing air during the night, we kept waking up on the floor. Oh well, I'd do it again any time. We already miss you guys so much. Thanks for coming to visit. You are welcome any time. We love you. Take care of yourselves and get better soon!

4 comments:

The Lingo Family said...

Oh my goodness! That is so awful. Bless their little hearts. i am so glad they finally made it and that everyone will be okay. Glad you all had a nice Christmas. Your kiddos are the cutest! I am in LOVE with Addison's boots. :)

THE JACKSONS said...

How scary! I'm so glad that they made it through the accident! To be honest I can't believe your father in law is walking around with a broken neck! Holy smokes!!! We just drove that road a few nights ago coming home from Magic Mountain in CA and the weather was AWFUL and so scary...I worried about getting in car accident! Anyway, I hope they are doing better....love the pics! Everyone looks so happy! We should get together again soon. Talk to you later!

Anonymous said...

as usual Hollie you have done a great job on your blog...tears come to my eyes when i see the pics and read your wonderful words...we miss you all so much...have a wonderful "29th" birthday tomorrow...wish you were all here so i could hug and kiss on my little (& big) ones...Ron is doing much better...went to work for the first time today...I have turned into his chaffeur...but I love it cuz now i can tell him to stop back set driving...love ya all...Dianna/Mom/Grandma

Anonymous said...

Opulently I acquiesce in but I contemplate the collection should acquire more info then it has.