Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Body Worlds




Last week Jared took me to see a Body Worlds exhibit in Salt Lake. IT WAS AWESOME!!! I know some people think it's gross, but I find this kind of stuff so fascinating. I LOVE the human body and learning about how it works. Our bodies are so intricate. The way all of our body systems work together in order for us to function is absolutely amazing to me. Anatomy and physiology classes were always my favorite in high school and college. That's the main reason I chose the major I did, it required lots of A & P type classes.

I was kind of bummed to realize how much I've forgotten over the years, but luckily most of it started coming back to me fairly quickly as I continued through the exhibit. It helped me to remember how much I truly do enjoy this field of study and is making me think about how to pursue it further. All I know is that at some point in my lifetime I will take whatever classes are necessary to be able to dissect a cadaver. I know, I sound sick in the head and I'm probably really scaring most of you. I dissected a cat in high school and it was one of the best learning experiences I've ever had. I can't even imagine how much I would be able to learn and retain by dissecting a human body. That hands on experience is really the best way for me to truly understand.
I LOVE IT!

8 comments:

RC said...

You crack me up. I really understood how much you loved this when you dissected the cat, I thought for sure with your love of animals that would do you in, but your love of knowledge won out. Plus you understood, how this cat came to be a science project, you didn't just go grab someone's pet.

I know your love for learning about the workings of the human body, I know of your great desire to get your hands on a cadaver.

So. . . . since I'm your Mother and all I want is for your happiness, I'll make you a deal.

If you promise to take good care of me in my old age, I will leave your Dad's body to you when he dies.

doon-doon-doon, braaahahaaaaaaaa!

Heather said...

HA HA HA!!! Mom's comment cracks me up. she is so generous.

I loved disecting Mr. Whiskers too, and I too think a cadaver would be awesome. But I don't enjoy the smell, or the yellow fatty tissue. Luckily my Mr. Whiskers wasn't very fat, but my lab neighbors cat was Mr. Fatso, and he was gross. Yellow fatty tissue everywhere. Uck!!!!

Nick said...

So you guys named your cats huh? I would probably hae named my cat Tiger! Haha

I wanted to go see Body Worlds up in Portland at omsi when it was there, neer got the chance though. I bet you had a ton of fun!

RC said...

HEY HOLLIE IT'S ME DAD, I DON'T MIND THAT YOUR MOTHER OFFERED YOU MY BODY, BECAUSE IT'S ABOUT THE ONLY THING I WOULD HAVE TO LEAVE TO YOU ANY WAY WHEN I'M DEAD. HA,HA,HA.

RC said...

OH MAN, HEATHER, I WAS PLANNING TO LEAVE MY BODY TO YOU, BUT AFTER READING YOUR COMMENT ON HOW MUCH YOU DISLIKE THE YELLOW FATTY TISUE, WELL, THAT LEAVES ME OUT. HA,HA.

P.S. HOWEVER I STILL WANT TO LEAVE YOU SOMETHING TO DISECT SO WE WILL SAVE FELIX'S BODY WHEN HE DIES AND SHIP HIM TO YOU. HE IS VERY LEAN!(YOUR DAD AND I ARE BOTH CRACKING UP)

LOVE,
MOM

Jennifer Richins said...

Forget about having a family craft store, you guys need to start a family comedy routine!

I'm right there with ya Hollie...I LOVED the Bodies exhibit. I just wish I had more time to go through it all in more detail. The human body is truly amazing.

Anonymous said...

[B]NZBsRus.com[/B]
No More Sluggish Downloads Using NZB Files You Can Instantly Search HD Movies, PC Games, MP3s, Applications and Download Them at Accelerated Speeds

[URL=http://www.nzbsrus.com][B]Usenet Search[/B][/URL]

Anonymous said...

You could easily be making money online in the hush-hush world of [URL=http://www.www.blackhatmoneymaker.com]blackhat tools[/URL], It's not a big surprise if you have no clue about blackhat marketing. Blackhat marketing uses alternative or misunderstood methods to build an income online.