Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Decisions, decisions.

I HATE making decisions. I have always been an extremely indecisive person and have always admired people who are able to quickly assess situations and make decisions quickly. I suppose that if it came right down to it and I HAD to make a quick decision in an emergency situation I probably could. But if I'm not faced with a deadline it takes me WAY TOO LONG! I totally over analyze everything. I'm so afraid of making the wrong decision that sometimes it's just easier not to decide anything at all. Part of my problem is that I'm TERRIFIED of failure. If I think I might fail at something, or even if I just think I won't excel at it, I won't even try it. This is something I really don't like about myself, but I don't really know how to change. I know that it has really inhibited many areas of my life and prevented me from experiencing some great things in life. I mean who cares if I'm not the best at everything or even if I do fail at something. I'll never know unless I try and I could end up having a lot of fun. I always complain because I don't have any talents, but maybe if I actually tried some new things I'd find something that I'm good at.

Why do I bring all of this up? Well I've been doing A LOT of thinking lately and I'm trying to figure out what to do with my life. We've been jobless now for almost 2 months and it's getting pretty scary. We're just not sure what to do. We're trying to be positive and figure out the reason for this trial. There's got to be a reason or a lesson right? One of the things I'm thinking is that it's because it's forcing me to look into a different path for my future. Here are some of the things I've come up with. Like I said though, I'm having an awful time deciding what to do. This will effect my entire family, not just me. I want to do what's best for my kids and huband.

Most of you know I have a bachelor's degree in kinesiology, and I've always wanted to go back to physical therapy school. I've really been looking into this lately and was sure that's what I wanted to do, but it is such a difficult schedule. The more information I got the more I realized that this is probably something that's going to have to wait until I'm done having kids and they're all in school. It's a three year, year round program that would take me out of the house a lot for class. Not to mention all of the studying I'd have to do just to keep up. First of all, the whole reason I don't work in the first place is so I can be the one home, raising my kids and spending time with them. Who would watch them while I was at school (hopefully Jared would be working by then)? Second, when would I have another baby? There's no way I could have one while going to school and I don't want to wait four years until I graduate.

So then I started thinking about massage therapy school. This somewhat relates to my degree. This sounds a little better as far as the schedule goes. They have a night school that is Monday through Thursday from 7 to 10:30. So Jared could be home with the kids and I'd really only be missing about an hour of their day because they'd be in bed after that. You also have to spend one day out of every weekend doing training. The problem is that this program is a year. Which isn't bad when you think of how long most things take, but for an entire year I wouldn' get to see my husband because he'd be at work all day then I'd be at school all night and on weekends. Also, it's pretty pricey and it would possibly delay Jared in his schooling a little bit. One of the main perks for me is that you get to dissect a cadaver. I know I probably sound sick in the head, but this is something I've always wanted to do. I'm so fascinated by the human body and how it works, I would love to be able to see inside of one.

Next I figured I would look into personal training. Again it's something that coincides with my degree (although I'd have to get in a lot better shape myself before anyone came to me for fitness advice). With most of these programs you pretty much just work at your own pace, then when you're ready you go take your certification exam. It's quite a bit less money than some of the alternatives.

Now I'm completely confused and have no idea what I want to do. I'm not sure which one I would enjoy most. I also need to take into consideration which would have the most flexible schedule both during school/training and also as an occupation. Then there's always the money factor. Although this isn't the most important factor, it's definitely necessary to weigh the cost of the program with the eventual salary I'd be earning back.

I know nobody can make this decision for me. It's something me and my family need to pray and think about. I just had to get some of these thoughts out of my head. If anyone does have some insight into any of these fields I'd like the info. Thanks for listening.

10 comments:

Melanie said...

The only insight I can offer is that I know a little bit about the type of schools that massage therapy programs are usually in. I personally like them a lot because they are technical schools with so much hands on and not as much book learning. They can be costly but they are really helpful getting your program covered with financial aid as much as possible. Because they a lot of times deal with people who've never gone to college before they can be a bit much as far as always wanting to "hold you hand" through different processes, but sometimes that can be a blessing lol
Decisions are hard, I hate making them too. I'll keep you in my thoughts and pray that you and your family find the one that's best for you.

Jennifer Richins said...

Maybe it's a Martin gene that doesn't allow us to make decisions. I feel the same way. I didn't decide on a major in college until my third year! It's scary. But listen to the spirit and hopefully you'll be guided to do what's right for you and your family.

Heather said...

i HATE making decisions too. i would totally hire someone to make all my decisions for me, if i could decide on who to hire!!!

i didn't know you got to do a cadaver in massage school,..........hmmmmmm. i want to do that too.

RC said...

OK, IT'S SETTLED THEN, SOME HOW SOME WAY, WE ALL END UP LIVING IN THE SAME AREA (ATLEAST NO MORE THAN AN HOUR FROM EACH OTHER) YOU TWO GIRLS GO "DO" YOUR CADAVER AND SCHOOLING, AND I WILL STAY AT HOME AND TAKE CARE OF ALL OF THE CHILDREN. WE SHOULD ALL BE ABLE TO SURVIVE THAT FOR A YEAR, OR SO?
I KNOW IT IS A DIFFICULT TASK TO MAKE DECISIONS, THAT EFFECT SO MANY AND HAVE SUCH PROFOUND IMPACT ON YOUR LIVES, HOWEVER, YOU ARE BOTH SMART, LOVING, FAITHFUL WIVES AND MOTHERS, WHO WILL NO MATTER HOW STRESSFUL, AND FRIGHTENING, MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION. I LOVE YOU BOTH AND I AM SO PROUD OF YOU GIRLS, I KNOW YOU WILL GET IT ALL FIGURED OUT. THAT'S THE BEST I CAN DO, WHO DO YOU THINK YOU GOT YOUR INDECISIVENESS (IS THAT A WORD?) FROM?
LOVE YOU BOTH,
MOM

get an eyefull of this... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
get an eyefull of this... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
get an eyefull of this... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
get an eyefull of this... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
get an eyefull of this... said...

I think it is a stage in life. I feel the same way too. Its like we go to school, get degrees, get married, have kids, and then what? And then when I look back on the degree I got I say to myself, "now why did I get that?" and then have to wonder what else is out there for me. I heard is said one time that the average person has three different careers in his/her lifetime. Oh gosh, I better get started on number 2. Does parenting count? OK, then number 3. Sometimes these decisions are difficult. But, think about them long term too. What seems impossible now (more schooling)and seems like a big sacrifice right now, at the end, may be exactly what you needed to go through to get to where you need to be.

OK, no more waxing philosophical and getting confused- LOL

get an eyefull of this... said...

Okay, I don't know why my comment posted six times! Sorry.