Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A dose of reality

Lately Urban has been going through his "helper" phase. He loves to help clean and do things around the house. Addison has noticed this and like any good, older sister would do, she's taking full advantage. She'll usually just ask him to bring her stuff like her drink, kitty or blanket when she doesn't want to get up. Urban's so sweet he always runs and brings it back to her with a big smile.

Tonight Addison was sitting in her rocking chair singing one of her babies to sleep. She decided that she wanted her kitty and blanket so she asked Urban to get them for her. I explained to Addison that he didn't need to get them, if she wanted them then she needed to get up and get them herself. It was too late, Urban was already on his way to get them for her. He brought back her kitty, so then she asked him to get her blanket too.

Me: "No Addison, if you want your blanket you get up and get it." (again, too late, Urban was already on it)

Addison: "See, he can bring them to me, he likes it."

Me: "You need to realize that he's being very nice by doing things for you. You need to tell him thank you and give him loves. This is not something he has to do he's just being a good brother. He's not your servant."

Addison: (with a little giggle) "Oh, right, you're my servant."

Me: "Excuse me?! I'm not your servant either."

Addison: (with a very concerned look) "Well then who is my servant?"

Me: "You don't have a servant. You're not a queen, you have to do things for yourself."

Then we just started laughing.

Where have I gone wrong? Where does this attitude of entitlement come from? Apparently I enable my children by doing too much for them. She may not be a queen, but she certainly is a PRINCESS!!!

5 comments:

Jennifer Richins said...

That is HILARIOUS! I can SO see the two of you having this conversation and cracking up about it. Reality will come soon enough.

The Lingo Family said...

Too FUNNY. I LOVE IT!!!!!

RC said...

Oh that girl cracks me up, you two are too funny. No more Barbie or Disney Princess movies for that girl. Oh, well I guess let a girl dream, reality comes soon enough.

jori-o said...

You just need to remind her that in order for her to be a Princess, then YOU must be the QUEEN! =)

Cowgirl at Heart said...

Typical little girl...seems that "Miss Alice" feels the same way, except her brother isn't so nice, so she wants the "big people" to do it all for her...must be the age or maybe the fact that see knows she is the "Princess"