Friday, July 17, 2009

The Great Outdoors!

The weather has been perfect around here lately. We've decided to try to take full advantage of our beautiful surroundings by doing some sort of activity in nature every weekend.


The weekend before this last one we went to a local lake to swim around and have a picnic. The water was a bit chilly but the kids didn't seem to mind. We ate our lunch on the shore, taught the Brun Brun Bear how to swim and just enjoyed our surroundings. Okay, so we didn't really have to teach Bruno to swim, the doggy paddle came pretty naturally once we actually got him into the water. We had to coax him in inch by inch. He didn't seem to want to get more than his paws wet, silly pup! Of course I forgot my camera so unfortunately there are no pictures.


This last Saturday we went hiking on a trail alongside a creek we found in a gorgeous spot near the Bountiful Temple. The trail wasn't exactly meant for kids quite as young as ours but of course little Ms. & Mr. Independent wanted absolutely NO HELP! Sometimes they didn't have a choice in the matter because quite frankly I didn't feel like jumping off the cliff and fetching them out of the water. Boy, did Sir Urban throw a major fit when I helped him along. Although he also got pretty upset when he would fall down on his own. I'm not sure which temper tantrum was worse. Honestly I think both of the kids would have been perfectly happy just standing next to the stream throwing rocks into it the entire time. Urban's favorite thing in the whole world is throwing rocks. Jared tried to teach us how to skip rocks but none of us quite caught on.
Above is what Addison did when we asked her to pose for a picture...and below is what Urban did. Babies gone wild here we come! I'm not real sure what he was doing, but it makes me giggle.
This is the hill we had to climb to get back to the car. It's actually quite a bit steeper than it looks and is full of loose gravel and rocks, but of course the kids had to do it on their own.
Here's a picture of Urban yelling at me after one of the times he slid backwards and fell down. I haven't quite figured out why it's my fault!? I tried to hold his hand.
This picture cracks me up! He looks like Bruce Willis or some other tough dude from an action movie running away (in slow motion of course) from an explosion after a bomb went off.



Apparently our little hike didn't tucker the kids out because on our way home they saw a playground and asked if we could stop to play.



I love these little family outings, they're so much fun!

2 comments:

RC said...

How fun to get out and enjoy nice weather and the beauty around us.

Hollie it's time you realized, everything is ALWAYS the Mom's fault! :-)

I love how independent they are too cute.

Hope we can make it up one more time while the weather is nice at your end, it would be nice to get away from the heat at our end.

Heather said...

So cute and so fun!