Saturday, November 1, 2008

Carving pumpkins

We completely forgot about carving our pumpkins from the pumpkin patch until Thursday night, but that was the night of our ward shindig. By the time we got home we just didn't feel like doing it so the kids and I carved our pumpkins Friday afternoon so they'd be ready for Halloween night. Addison didn't want to touch the "pumpkin guts" because she doesn't like being dirty and I wasn't brave enough to let Urban get his hands on a raw pumpkin, although I'm sure he would have loved it (maybe if Jared was with us). So I ended up doing most of the work by myself while the kids watched. We still had a lot of fun. Urban just played with his little pumpkin and our pumpkin lids while Addison did whatever she could to help. She carefully tried to scrape the inside of a pumpkin, but when she accidentally flipped a seed up on to her face it was all over. She just looked at me trying not to get too upset saying "get it off, get it off!". I started cracking up at her reaction, or should I say over-reaction (after all, it was just one little pumpkin seed) so she finally started giggling too. She settled for letting me do the dirty work while she decorated the pumpkins. One of the kits we got came with glitter pens, so she went to work making the pumpkins sparkle and look pretty.



As you can see, Urban got a little wild and crazy with his pumpkin. This is why we call him "monster man". It's quite fitting.
















Here she is apprehensively cleaning out her pumpkin.






Can you see the lone little pumpkin seed on her cheek?









Here she explained to me that her pumpkin was tired, so she gave it a hug goodnight. She has quite an imagination, I don't know where she gets half of the stuff she says from.




VOILA! The finished products. Addison picked out both of the designs. We had a fun afternoon carving pumpkins. Next year we'll be more on the ball so daddy can do it with us.

3 comments:

jori-o said...

Good picks Addison! And I'm impressed with your carving skillz Hollie! ;)

RC said...

GREAT JOB GUYS! I LOVE THEM.

I GET SUCH A KICK OUT OF THE KIDDO'S. THEY ALL HAVE SO MUCH PERSONALITY, AND THEY ARE ALL THEIR OWN LITTLE PERSON.

Jennifer Richins said...

:) They look like a lot of fun.