Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Pumpkin Patch

The Saturday before last we took the kids to a pumpkin patch. We all had a lot of fun. There was a little farmer's market area with produce and pumpkins. Addison loved looking at the different shapes, sizes & colors of the pumpkins. She was so worried about picking one out. We kept telling her we would do it before we left so that we didn't have to carry it around with us. I guess she thought we'd forget because she kept asking us if she could go back and pick out her pumpkin.
There was also a petting zoo area with lots of fun farm animals. Urban was quite amused by them and Addison liked petting the cows.

In the middle of the field they had lots of fun activities to do. There was a bouncy house, little rides and lots of slides. Addi was being a little bit of a stinker and wouldn't go down any of the slides. But Urbi was having a blast riding down with his daddy. This picture cracks me up because that little boy in the red shirt was booking it to get out of Jared's way. I think he thought he was going to run him down! Unfortunately I was dumb and wore a dress (I don't recommend doing that) so I couldn't go down any of the slides without risking inappropriate exposure for a family activity.

We also went through a corn maze which was fun and confusing. We always get so turned around in those things. The kids were excited at first but eventually just wanted to
get out of there.

Last but not least we went on this fantastic hayride. Our driver was a lot of fun and made us sing songs and shout out "yee-haw" before he would go anywhere. He also went over all the bumps really fast (well as fast as a tractor pulling a trailer full of people can go) and made us all jump all over the place and get real familiar with our neighbors. The kids liked the bouncing. We rode out to the middle of the pumpkin patch where we got to pick out our pumpkins. Once we were done we got back on the tractor trailer to go back to our cars. As I mentioned before I wore a dress, well, along with that dress I wore high heeled boots. After I had picked out my pumpkin I started walking back to the trailer. I had Urban in one arm and my big pumpkin in the other. I'm sure you can probably guess where this is going...yep, I biffed it. As I started to fall I was contemplating in my head what I should do because obviously I didn't want to drop my child, (and this may sound awful)but I also didn't want to drop my pumpkin and have it splatter to the ground. I figured that maybe dropping Urban would be a good lesson for him, that lesson being LEARN TO WALK ALREADY!!! Maybe he would realize that his mom is not coordinated enough to walk for the both of us. Anyway, obviously I would never let my baby fall. Luckily I was able to catch myself with one of my knees so I could kind of roll my pumpkin to the ground and grab ahold of Urban. Can you believe that boy had the nerve to yell at me! It really wasn't like a scared cry, it was like a yell of annoyance. I think he was embarrassed. So was I! As I got up to assess the damage I realized that I was filthy. I was wearing dark colors so the dust & dirt showed up perfectly all down the left side of me. I had dirt all down inside my boot, a hole in my tights and little pieces of leaf stuck all over the cute scarf I had borrowed from my sister (sorry Heath). While I was trying to clean myself off I looked up and noticed that almost all of the other people were already back up on the trailer and just looking down at those of us still choosing our pumpkins. So of course I caught their attention by displaying my graceful pumpkin/baby juggling act. Man did I feel stupid, but I still had to laugh. It was quite funny and I learned a valuable lesson for next year...don't wear a dress and heels to a pumpkin patch. I'm not Heather, I can't pull it off. =) All in all it was a great day. We made lots of fun family memories.

6 comments:

Cowgirl at Heart said...

What a great story about falling at the pumpkin patch! The kids are so darn cute and getting so big! I have to come see you guys soon! Love and miss all of you!!!

Jennifer Richins said...

You crack me up Hollie! I can totally picture the slow motion of you falling and catching yourself and rolling...too hilarious. The pictures are great and I love little Addison's dress, boots, and gorgeous hair...looks like she belongs in the country.

asemia said...

THANK YOU FOR THE STORY A SECOND TIME! YES, I STILL HAD TO LAUGH THOUGH, TOO FUNNY! I LOVE ALL THE PICTURES, THE KIDS LOOK ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE. I SEE URBSKI HAS SHOES ON, YEAH ! ! ! I LOVE THE OLD FASHION DOWN HOME FARM PUMPKIN PATCHES. HOPE WE CAN COME UP NEXT YEAR AND DO IT WITH YOU GUYS.

Heather said...

I wish we went with you, just to see you fall, and to find out that the pumpkins were FREE!!!!!

The kiddo's look cute, as usual. '

Addi does look like a perfect little farm girl.

jori-o said...

What a fun little family outing! How funny is it that Urban was "yelling" at you??! I swear, these babies with their little personalities amaze me!!

Anonymous said...

I love how many blogs you have posted this week. And aren't family memories just the best? I just wish I had taken advantage of these earlier memories with my children. You guys look great and look like you are having a lot of fun. Soon we'll have to make some more memories together.Evan keeps asking where his Hollie went? He dosen't understand that you guys moved. Next time we will have to come to you..love ya
Julie