Monday, November 9, 2009

It's official...yet again!

That's right, I have once again qualified for mother of the year. Here are two of my most recent 'proud motherhood moments' that put me in the running.

#1
Addison has become quite the tattle tell lately. She tells on her brother for absolutely EVERYTHING! Now I will be the first to admit that he is quite the stinker, but my goodness she does not let him get away with anything. All I hear all day long is "mom, Urban's drinking", "mom, Urban's breathing", "mom, Urban's singing", "mom, Urban's hitting/biting me", "mom Urban's throwing something away", "mom, Urban's breaking something", etc. You get the gist. Now some of these are legitimate concerns, but so many of them are so ridiculous that it just starts to drive me crazy after awhile. So the other morning after she had told on him for some insignificant reason for the one hundredth time I just lost it. I yelled at her and said I didn't want to hear any more. I didn't care what he was doing, she just needed to deal with it and resolve it on her own. I went into the other room and several minutes later I heard Addison quietly sobbing. She was trying very hard not to let me hear her, which is strange. She normally tries to cry as loudly as possible to evoke as much sympathy as possible. I figured something must not be right. I went into the room, startling Urban as I did, to find Addison sitting there with tears streaming down her face and a bright red arm. Apparently Urban had put the smack down on her arm (very quietly might I add, I never heard a thing) and Addison just sat there and took it because I had yelled at her for being a nark. What the heck! What kind of mother does something like this? I felt so bad. I sat there hugging her and crying and telling her how sorry I was. Yep, mother of the year!

#2
Urban has recently decided that it is great fun to play with the locks on the front door. He's great at locking the door, but has some trouble turning it the other way for some reason. He has locked me out of the house on a couple of different occasions when I've gone to get the mail or take trash to the curb or whatever. Luckily it's never been for very long. He either quickly figures out how to unlock it or someone else is around to let me in. Well, on this particular day he locked me out and I was simply not in the mood for his shenanigans. It was freezing outside and I was in a hurry. When I got to the door to find it locked I yelled at him to open it for me. I heard him messing with the locks but it was still locked. After several minutes of listening to him tinker with it I was less than amused. "Damn it Urban, open the door!" Oh that's right, I said it. I'm quite ashamed of myself but I was so mad. Nothing! So I started repeatedly ringing the doorbell and kicking the door hoping that Addison would hear me and come to the door. She didn't. I knew what room Addison was in so I went to that window and told her to go to the front door and unlock it for me. I heard her get to the door, then I heard a brawl break out. Urban was determined not to let her near the door. I don't know if he thought it was a game at this point, if he was just being territorial or if he knew how much trouble he was going to be in once I got inside. Anyway, I started yelling for Addison to hurry up and unlock the door. She started crying and telling me that she was trying to but Urban wouldn't let her. She told me that he was hitting her and pushing her out of the way so she couldn't. I tried telling Urban to knock it off, but of course he didn't listen. So then I told Addison to do whatever she had to do to get to the door. "But he won't let me" she screamed. "Then push him out of the way" I yelled back, "I don't care what you have to do just get him away from the door". After hearing some screaming, crying, pushing, hitting & yelling the door was finally unlocked. I entered to find Urban sitting in a nearby chair trying as hard as he could to ignore me. He knew he was going to get it. After making sure Addison was okay I laid into the Urbster. Again, what kind of mother does stuff like this? Standing outside yelling at my children, giving one permission to do whatever it takes to the other in order to open the door. My neighbors must think I'm just lovely. Yep, mother of the year!

To my dear, sweet children; some day when you're sitting in a shrinks office trying to sort through your issues, just hand him a copy of this post and all will be explained.

9 comments:

April said...

LOL ok that was pure entertainment...

I have been saying "shit" lately and I don't even know where it comes from. I have never considered myself to be one who swears..it's like our sweet perfect children drag out our dark sides...

my kids will be in shrink offices too...

thank you for being so real...this post of yours was quite refreshing compared to the other blogs I read where I feel like a complete loser mom after reading them...

love you Hollie-

and I am your probably your closest neighbor- and I didn't hear anything and if I did, I would just giggle.

The Lingo Family said...

I LOVE IT!!!!!! You are a good Mom. :)

Heather said...

Geez Hollie, I used to look up to you, but not anymore!!! I'm sure you won't be surprised when Avery doesn't invite Addison over to play anymore, I won't know what might come out of Addi's mouth!!

HA HA HA HA!!!

It's so true that our precious little one's bring out the "best" in us. I don't know how that seems to happen!

I used to tell the kids to "leave me alone, you are driving me crazy." and the worst part is, I thought that was totally acceptable, I didn't think twice about it, until Jason came home and told me that one of his clients kept saying that to her children, and he felt so sad for them. OOPS! He didn't know that his little wifey was saying the same thing to his kids. So now I try to say something else like, "Just go away, I can't stand you!"

hee hee!

Jennifer Richins said...

You are too cute, Hollie. I can SO see myself doing the exact same thing. I'm usually pretty patient, but when it's gone I become someone else. Luckily it doesn't happen too often. But when I have kids I'm sure it'll come out much more often.

RC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hollie, after some self reflection as i read and re read your post I haveto admit I had the same situations. With a few minor differences. Garett locked me out, and no one opened the door for me. I had to climb through a window. After which my son got a spanking and then put in time out( as I yelled incoherent comments to myself and him). And Evan is telling on the boys as well. We were driving in the car and I beleive his complaint ( I kid you not) was " Mom Garetts looking out my window and i told him not too." I was dumb founded to the point of laughing. But I have yelled at my children daily for almost 15 years.(not my most shinning moments.)
Hollie you are a GREAT mother!! Dont let anyone ( not even yourself) tell you differently. You are raising some of the best kiddos I know. You and Jared are doing far better then I ever have.
I do know that I am not winning any mother of the year awards either. But I do think you are closer to the top 5 then I am. SO remember- Every day your child wakes up with a smile, is fed, bathed, loved, enteracted with, enjoyed, or learned something new; means you are doing the right thing. Oh yeah, start taking your house keys with you when you leave the house, or take Urban with you, make him your helper.Keep up the good work.
Love
Julie

RC said...

I love the way you wrote this, so raw and real.
You had me sitting here reading this, laughing and crying right with you, (as a mother & a grandmother). Just remember there is no such thing as the "perfect" parent.
But you are a GREAT Mother, and you have wonderful and GREAT kids so just remember that you are doing a good job, keep your sense of humor and try not to be to hard on yourself.
As long as we love our children and let them know how much they are loved, then hopefully as they are lying there on a shrinks couch, that is what they will fondly remember the most, and the few times as Mother's we lost our cool, will bring them some laughter and stories to talk when all the siblings get together.
Love Ya. and those Bugs!

Cami said...

Thank you for sharing this - it makes me feel better about wanting to kick Michael all the way to the car.

THE JACKSONS said...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh I'm so glad that I'm not the only one! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! No doubt my kids are going to need thousands of dollars in therapy after I'm done with them! LOL!