Sunday, December 7, 2008

IT'S OFFICIAL...

I am definitely NOT the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree!

There's been a lot of speculation for years as to how big of a moron I am. I am extremely naive and don't have much "street smarts". I am constantly having to ask Jared "what's that mean?" because there's a lot that I just don't get. I think I was able to fool people for several years due to the fact that I got straight A's all through high school and some how managed to graduate from college.

Well, tonight I am able to say that apparently it has all been a facade. I am, in fact, a HUGE moron.

Both of my boys are feeling sick today so I thought it would be nice to make some homemade soup. This morning I put all of the ingredients into the crock pot, set it to low and looked forward to a yummy dinner later on without a lot of hassle so I could focus on taking care of Jared & Urban. With about an hour left to cook I went to add some last minute additions. I thought it was odd that the lid wasn't hot and steam didn't come piling out when I opened it, but I didn't think much about it. I went on adding & mixing until I realized that the potatoes still weren't soft. Hmmm, I thought, that's strange. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to turn it to high to cook for the last little bit. I continued getting the bread ready to put in the oven when I stopped in my tracks. Wait a minute, finally it was all starting to make sense. And the sense it was making was that none of this made any sense at all. If the crock pot had been on all day long then none of this was possible. But I couldn't be dumb enough to have not turned it on...could I? No, of course not, but I could be dumb enough to not plug the darn thing in! "Are you freakin' serious?" I yelled from the kitchen so Jared came in to see if everything was okay. He just started laughing when I explained everything to him. Luckily we had chocolate chip cookies that were supposed to be for dessert that we are snacking on until the soup is ready on the stove top. Yes, I am writing this in the middle of this whole mess, apparently I have some time to kill.

I still can't believe I did that. Our delicious dinner that I've been working on all day and some how, amidst all the clues, I never realized that I didn't plug the stupid thing in.

So there you have it, that's my proof. There should be no doubt left in anyone's mind.

Okay, I know (at least I hope) that I can't be the only one to have done something so silly. So spill your stories, they'll be fun to read.

Now I better go make sure I turned the burner on.

5 comments:

Jennifer Richins said...

Ha Ha Ha! I'd love to share a story, but I don't think anythying like that has ever happened to me. :) Ya, right. I put milk in the cupboard one time! It's when I was living at home and instead of putting just the cereal in there, I also put the milk in there. Go figure.

get an eyefull of this... said...

Oh Hollie...you know what, you need to get yourself a cast iron pot with a lid...and now I am drawing a blank as to what they are called...I will remember in a minute. So, if this should happen again (although I am sure it will not) you can pour it all in the pot, pop it into the oven and it will cook really fast. Or, better yet! Get a pressure cooker, which works on the range!

get an eyefull of this... said...

See, I knew I would remember....its called a Dutch oven!

Heather said...

I think I already told you what I did last week. My laundry room is in the bathroom, and when I was taking the load out of the washer, instead of putting them in the dryer, I tried stuffing them in the TOILET!!! Whatthe HECK is wrong with me?

Trecia Estes said...

I have totally done the same thing (forget to plug in the crock pot...not put my clothes in the toilet, although that was a great story, too!) It happens to the best of us. (again...the crock pot thing...not the toilet thing:o)